The Origin of Banbury and Influence of Roman and Anglo-Saxon
Banbury is an old town located in the current district of Cherwell. The town history dates over one thousand and five hundred years back. The name Banbury was derived from two names. First, part “Ban” comes from a Saxon Chieftain known as Banna who is said to have developed a stockade in the town. The “Bury” part is copied from the term burgh, which refers to settlement. The town has been under different mayors from the seventh century. The Saxons settled in the area in late fifth century AD. Later conflicts arose between the Saxons and local Romano-British occupants. As time progressed, in the eighth century, the town was hugely controlled by the Anglo-Saxon people under the Danish inspiration. These inhabitants much more developed Banbury.
The medieval period saw the town grow characterised by more construction in the area. In 1135, there was a development of Banbury Castle by Alexander. He was the Bishop of Lincoln by then. Later in 1279, the town settlements were included as part of Bishop of Lincoln estates. The bishop’s estates expanded to other towns in the nearby region. Unfortunately, between 1348 to 1349, the towns faced a Black Death period that swept away almost half of its population. However, by the sixteenth century, the population had picked rose again.
Civil War Duration
The civil war period played a part in the development the Banbury. Despite the 1628 fire that partially destroyed a part of the town, the settlement of military in the area turned out beneficial. During the period, the town grew to an industrial centre. The royalist garrisons made a gun making Centre in the near the town. This came a few years after senior government official operated in the town. In the long run, the town later faced significant destruction due to the civil war. The Banbury castle was destroyed using gunpowder. The residents later claimed compensation in a petition against the parliament between the years 1646 and 1647. The king’s garrison army captain was termed responsible for the looting. Most of the affected soldiers in the civil war were rampaged and their leaders executed.
The Town’s Activities
Banbury developed as both administrative and trading centre. Trade in the area dates back to 1300 when artisans and traders inhabited the area. People from neighbouring towns such as Oxfordshire participated in the trade at the town. The wool industry grew in the sixteenth century. In the seventeenth century, farming activities were also done by some nobles. Other market segmentations continued to grow in this particular century: current town advances. The industrial growth was facilitated by the introduction of the steam engine in the 18th century. By the year 1917, railway line transport had developed to supplement the road transport, which had evolved over years of development and changed construction techniques. The financial industries also developed in the 1920s in the area.
After 1964, many more sectors and service-based companies were introduced, and many others have emerged in the recent years such as Locksmith Banbury have been developed. In food and coffee production, Kraft Foods was established in 1964. Some of the current business premises are housed in old refurbished buildings such as Tramway industrial estate. Today, the town has grown and experienced modern construction with modern based locking mechanism from the Locksmith Banbury organisation. The companies offer installation of new unique and reliable locks in Banbury for both commercial and home buildings, cars and any other lockable structures to provide guaranteed security.